International Waste Pickers Day is commemorated annually on March 1st in honour of eleven Waste Pickers that were brutally killed in a Colombian University in 1992. On that terrible day, the waste pickers were tricked by personnel from the Universidad Libre de Barranquilla, who invited them to enter into the premises of the university under the pretence of providing them with recyclable waste materials. Once inside they were beaten and shot to death so that their bodies could be used for medical research and organ trafficking.
Waste pickers often commemorate this day in remembrance of this tragic incident, and to bring to the fore the challenges confronting informal waste pickers as they struggle to make a living and support their families. So on the occasion of the International Waste Picker’s Day, the Kpone Landfill Waste Pickers Association wish to join our colleagues in Ghana and the Global Alliance of Waste Pickers in remembrance of the tragedy of this day in history and to reiterate the many of challenges confronting waste pickers when undertaking their legitimate activities. We wish to send our heartfelt compassion and solidarity to ALL waste pickers in Ghana and abroad who are still faced with stigmatisation, disrespected, excluded, threatened and in some instances having to lose their lives through their struggle as waste pickers.
In Ghana, as elsewhere, the contributions of waste pickers to solid waste management and environmentalservicesareessential. Ourworkaswastepickersisimportantinmanyways. We earn income to take care of ourselves, our family members and send our children to school. We also provide the recycling companies with a regular supply of recovered materials from the landfill site, who in turn pay taxes to the government. We help to prolong the lifespan of landfill sites by diverting large quantities of materials into the circular economy; and we help to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. In 2019, prior to our displacement from the Kpone Landfill, waste pickers prevented the emission of 23,500 Tonnes of eCO2, through recycling materials and preventing them from being burned on the site.
Yet waste pickers are one of the vulnerable groups that have been hardest hit in times of global and national crisis. A recent study conducted by WIEGO on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on informal workers in Accra showed that we waste pickers and our families are facing the brunt of the pandemic. Results from the study showed that waste pickers have reduced earnings mainly due to reduction in the prices and volumes of recyclable waste materials. The study reveals that waste pickers did not receive any COVID relief assistance from the government and we purchased our own Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) although our activities are essential services. Despite our contributions to environmental protection, we live in communities that are underserved by waste collection, where we must open, dump and burn our waste due to lack of resources and support.
Therefore, on the occasion of this year’s International Waste Picker’s Day, we the Kpone Landfill Waste Pickers Association wish to highlight the following concerns:
1. The Kpone landfill site is the main source of income and livelihood for about 500 waste pickers and their families, the decision by government to proceed with the decommissioning and reengineering of the Kpone landfill site without due consultation with waste pickers or provision of livelihood safeguarding measures has had dire consequences for the livelihoods of waste pickers and their families.
2. Government should target waste pickers as a group in need of COVID-19 relief support measures. Immediate efforts should be made to support waste pickers with appropriate PPEs, food items, financial aid, medical aid and other necessities to address the extraordinary drop in earnings and increase in stress and risk caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
3. While we have over the years provided critical services in municipal solid waste management (SWM) in the country, we are still not integrated into municipal SWM systems. We therefore urge Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies to integrate waste pickers into the solid waste management systems through the provision of contracts for recycling service provision and secure conditions for work.
4. We the waste pickers working on the Kpone Landfill Site have been proactively exploring and piloting waste collection services in low-income coastal communities that are underserved by the current system. Now we need to be supported by the government and private sector with the requisite logistics, infrastructure, and financial support to secure community waste management contracts from MMDAs. Expanding doorstep waste collection to underserved communities through the provision of contracts for waste pickers will simultaneously reduce environmental pollution, prevent greenhouse gas emission by preventing open burning, reduce economic precarity by integrating waste pickers into formal systems, and reduce the environmental and sanitary injustices associated with poor waste management in underserved communities.
5. Whereas waste pickers are a key stakeholder involved in waste management and providing environmental services in the country, we are not recognized as such. We therefore wish to use this remarkable day to call for the recognition of, and effective inclusion of waste pickers through our membership-based organisations in decision making processes and structures that have implications for waste pickers.
Kindly contact Bro. Divine Dekonor (Secretary of the Association) on 0551332614 should you require any further clarifications or information.
Long live the global solidarity of waste pickers!!
Chairman, Kpone Landfill Waste Pickers Association
Can You Snort Kratom?
If you are using kratom, this thought might have crossed your mind: ‘Can I snort Kratom?’. But, the answer to this question is a big ‘NO.’ Kratom forms clumps when it is exposed to moisture. So, it is not favorable to snort kratom.
Snorting or Insufflation of kratom can damage the mucous membrane and irritate your throat. People can experience negative effects, including overdose. But there are ways in which you can consume different strains of kratom without any problem.
In this article, we will talk about the side effects of kratom snorting and what are the best ways to consume kratom. We will also discuss the dangers related to snorting kratom. So let’s get started.
Why Would Someone Snort Kratom?
Usually, the Southeastern people used kratom by chewing the leaves of the plant. But as kratom’s popularity increased, it was manufactured as capsules, powder, and liquid shots for consumption. People usually take kratom orally, but there are various reasons people snort kratom:
Get High Quickly
Many people believe that if they snort kratom, it will be directly absorbed into the bloodstream, which will make them get high quickly. Some users who use kratom for recreational purposes consume kratom like this.
Lack Of Knowledge
People who lack knowledge regarding kratom and its proper use snort kratom. Kratom forms clumps when it comes in contact with moisture, so it can further cause health issues.
Can You Smoke Kratom?
Other than taking kratom in capsules and powdered form, it is also smoked by many people. However, a significant amount of leaves is required to achieve the desired effects. It can be harsh on the throat and lungs, but you can get high quickly. Make sure you purchase kratom from reputable brands to get only the purest kratom. You can check this post to learn more about the best brands to buy kratom.
As compared to other herbal supplements, kratom smoke can be strong. It also produces a sustained euphoric effect, but you need a higher amount of supplement to achieve that euphoric state.
Here are some points to know before smoking Kratom:
- New kratom users or those who are sensitive to kratom must not consume more than one gram of the substance.
- At lower doses, you will feel mild stimulation, and your mood will be uplifted.
- If you smoke a significant amount of kratom, like 5 grams, then you will have noteworthy effects.
What is the Best Way to Use Kratom?
Other than snorting kratom, there are many ways in which you can consume kratom and get its various benefits. Manufacturers sold different types of kratom strains in the form of powder, capsules, extracts, etc. You can use kratom in the following ways:
- Kratom Capsules: If you don’t like the taste of kratom, you can go with kratom capsules. This method eliminates the bitter aftertaste and also offers a convenient way to take your daily dose.
- Kratom Tea: Brewing kratom tea is a timeless tradition. To create the best kratom tea, boil water on a low flame for 10-12 minutes and add kratom leaves or kratom powder to the water. Strain the liquid, and your kratom tea, with its amazing benefits, is ready.
- Kratom Powder: People also use kratom powder along with normal water. To make it more fun, you can blend kratom powder with chocolate milk. If you are lactose intolerant, you can opt for a milk alternative. You can also make kratom cookies to get the best of both worlds. You just have to pour kratom powder when you are making the dough for the cookies, and it’s done. People make kratom cookies to get the benefit of kratom and the sweetness of cookies.
- Kratom Extracts: These extracts are a more concentrated form of kratom. It can be created from kratom leaves of kratom powder. Its dosage is far more potent than the kratom powder.
Dangers of Snorting Kratom
Snorting kratom can be very dangerous for you and against your best interests. There can be short-term and long-term side effects of snorting kratom:
- Short-Term Side Effects: Nose Bleeding, nasal swelling, trouble breathing, nose and throat irritation, buildup of mucous membrane, nasal blockage.
- Long-Term Side Effects: Lung Infection, Damage to the respiratory system, Damage to throat and nose, Damaged mucous membrane, Blood clots in lungs, pulmonary embolisms, nasal inflammation, and perforation of nasal passages.
Along with these, snorting kratom can also cause various mental and physical problems:
Hallucinations, anxiety, aggressive behavior, tremors, seizures, vomiting.
Snorting kratom can be dangerous, so make sure you consume kratom in the form of tea or powder, etc. You must also know about the different strains of kratom and their benefits; in that way, you can select the best kratom strains for you.
Final Thoughts: Can You Snort Kratom?
This leads to the end of this article; we talked about how snorting kratom can create problems for you. Snorting kratom is not a good idea; the powder will form clumps in your throat and lungs and can cause serious long-term side effects.
There are many ways to consume kratom; you can take it as a capsule or make kratom tea. It is also available as extracts, which are the most concentrated form of kratom. You can make kratom consumption fun by adding the powder to your chocolate milk or making cookies.
Kratom has many benefits, but only if you take it the right way. Snorting kratom can harm you in many ways. Its short-term side effects include nose bleeding, swelling, nose and throat irritation, and nasal blockage. It also has long-term side effects like mucous membranes, nose, and throat damage. It also leads to lung infection, blood clots in the lungs, and pulmonary embolisms.
So, we recommend using kratom safely by consuming it the proper way. Snorting kratom will not get you high but can damage your respiratory tract and lungs. So be careful and safe.
Exploring the Latest Technological Advances in Fishing Reel Design
Fishing, once a simple pursuit with rudimentary tools, has undergone a transformative journey with technological advancements. Piscifun, a prominent brand in the fishing gear industry, stands at the forefront of this evolution. Let’s delve into the latest technological innovations that Piscifun incorporates into their fishing reel designs, enhancing the angling experience for enthusiasts of all levels.
Precision Engineering: Micro Gearing for Smoother Operation
One of the standout technological features in Piscifun fishing reels is the implementation of micro gearing. This precision engineering involves the use of finely machined gear components, resulting in smoother operation and increased performance. Anglers experience reduced friction, allowing for seamless casts and retrieves, making each fishing excursion a more enjoyable and efficient endeavor.
Carbon Fiber Drag Systems: Power and Sensitivity in Harmony
Piscifun recognizes the crucial role that drag systems play in fishing reel performance. The brand integrates advanced carbon fiber drag systems into their reels, combining power and sensitivity. This innovation ensures that anglers can smoothly adjust the drag to handle various fish sizes while maintaining a level of sensitivity that allows for precise control during the fight.
Corrosion Resistance: Shielding Reels Against the Elements
Fishing often involves exposure to harsh elements, and Piscifun addresses this challenge with cutting-edge corrosion-resistant technologies. The brand incorporates materials and coatings that protect the reel from saltwater corrosion, ensuring longevity and reliability even in the most demanding environments. Anglers can trust their Piscifun reels to withstand the test of time and the corrosive effects of saltwater.
Lightweight Design: Graphite and Aluminum Alloys for Maneuverability
In the pursuit of the perfect fishing reel, weight plays a crucial role in determining maneuverability and comfort. Piscifun leverages the latest materials, such as graphite and aluminum alloys, to create lightweight yet durable reels. This technological advance allows anglers to enjoy extended fishing sessions without experiencing fatigue, ultimately enhancing the overall fishing experience.
Sealed Bearings: Enhancing Durability in Challenging Environments
Piscifun understands the importance of bearings in reel performance, and their incorporation of sealed bearings is a testament to this commitment. Sealed bearings provide an additional layer of protection against water, dirt, and debris, significantly enhancing the durability and lifespan of the reel. Anglers can confidently take their Piscifun reels into diverse environments, knowing that the sealed bearings contribute to reliable and smooth operation.
Dual Brake Systems: Fine-Tuning Control for Precision Casting
Achieving precise casting is a fundamental aspect of successful angling, and Piscifun addresses this with the implementation of dual brake systems. This technological innovation allows anglers to fine-tune their casting control, adapting to different fishing conditions and lure weights. The result is increased accuracy and casting distance, providing anglers with a distinct advantage on the water.
Advanced Gear Ratios: Speed and Power Tailored to Fishing Styles
Piscifun fishing reels come equipped with advanced gear ratios that cater to diverse fishing styles. Whether anglers prefer high-speed retrieves or require the power for deep-sea fishing, Piscifun’s innovative gear ratios provide versatility. This technological advancement allows anglers to adapt their reel’s performance to specific fishing scenarios, ensuring optimal efficiency and success.