A stunning line-up of African artists is poised to turn the 2012 Channel O Music Video Awards, brought to you by DStv, into the biggest celebration of African music talent this year! The array of artists taking to the stage at the Saturday 17 November event in Walter Sisulu Square in Kliptown, Soweto reads like the who’s who of contemporary and iconic African stars. The 2012 Channel O Music Video Awards will be broadcast LIVE on DStv Channel 320 at 20:00 CAT, making sure fans throughout the continent don’t miss out on what promises to be a superb show. Channel O viewers in Kenya, Namibia, Ghana, South Africa, Tanzania and Nigeria can also enjoy the awards live on DStv Mobile.
The star-studded line-up includes:
· Last Year’s Best newcomer winner Ice Prince is one of the contenders in the Most Gifted Hip Hop Video for “Superstar” as well as Most Gifted Ragga Dancehall Video.
· Mo Cheddah is nominated for her “See Me” video featuring Phenom which has put her back in the running for this year’s Most Gifted Female Video after she took it in 2010.
· Also blazing the stage will be SA hip hop head Pro and a number of SA Kwaito music legends in the form of Alaska and Thebe along with Dr Malinga.
· Viewers can expect something special from the Kwaito flag bearers – all of whom have worked with this year’s Special Recognition recipient, Oskido. Representing for the Hip-Hop contingent is Ma-E of Teargas fame and Botswana rapper Zeus who is in the running for Most Gifted South Video for “Dancing Shoes”.
· Also flexing their skills at this Pan African LIVE event is Kenyan “Fresh all Day” newcomers Camp Mulla. The Kenyan outfit has four nominations (Most Gifted Newcomer Video, Most Gifted African East Video, Most Gifted Video of the Year and Most Gifted Duo, Group or Featuring Video).
· SA Hip Hop giant Khuli Chana is capping a brilliant year with three nominations (Most Gifted Male, Most Gifted Hip Hop Video and Most Gifted Video of the Year).
· Another highly anticipated performance is from hotshot Nigerian star, Davido, who is also in the running for Most Gifted Newcomer Video as well as Most Gifted Dance Video and is tapped to set the stage ablaze with his performance.
· Ghana’s lyrical fire starter M.anifest who is nominated for Most Gifted Hip Hop Video is also gearing up to show off his tongue twisting talent to the continent.
· No celebration of 21st century African music would be complete without some House in the mix! Black Motion, Mi Casa, DJ Zinhle and the first lady of SA house, Bucie, will also be taking to the stage! Bucie is in the running for Most Gifted Dance Video for “Get Over It” where she faces off against DJ Zinhle (feat Busiswa, “My Name Is”) amongst others. Mi Casa, meanwhile continue their blazing 2012 with a nomination in the Most Gifted Group/Duo Video category for “Heavenly Sent” and will certainly up the stakes at the live event.
· Finally, adding their rousing emotional magic to the awards is the Grammy Award-winning Soweto Gospel Choir.
The Channel O Music Video Awards are voted for by the public with voting closing at midnight on Thursday 8 November, giving fans just two weeks to have their say!